THEFT SYSTEM LIGHT IS ON AND CAR WILL NOT START

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

Anonymous

April, 10, 2013 AT 9:19 PM

Theft system light is on and car will not start. It won't even roll over. When I turn the key everything works. I even hear the fuel pump kicking on. If I push start it and pop the clutch it fires right up and light go's away. When I turn it off and try to restart it the theft light comes back on and I'm back to square one. Any idea on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

April, 10, 2013 AT 9:50 PM

According to my info, the security system has nothing to do with starter circuit. Will starter motor crank? If not check for voltage at the starter. The purple wire at starter solenoid goes hot with key in the crank position. If no voltage, you need to check the clutch switch. The other cable is battery voltage, hot all the time.

Your sure the battery has a full charge? Battery connections all clean and tight? If you think it might be a starter issue, some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you, if you take it odd and take it to them.

Any testing at the starter make sure tranny is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang