My car wants to turn on but doesnt

FRUSTRUATED MOTHER
  • 1996 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I filled my tank 1 day n the car started stalling on me.I was able to strt the car wit throttle spray n keep going. At 1 time the car theft system came on n it gave me more problems after tht now it wont strt at all. You can hear it trying to turn on but it wont grab. Please help me its the only car I have for now. Hasnt turned on for 2 mths
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 6:46 PM

Make sure the battery has a full charge. Check for applicable trouble codes. To check for codes, at the least, you need an obd2 code reader. The autostore sells them, shouldn't cost too much.

With passlock security system, it may disable the fuel injectors. I don't know if the relearn procedure will work on this vehicle? Don't use any starter fluid. Try to crank, let go of the key, leave key in on position, is security lite on? Watch security lite see if it goes off after about 10 minutes? Go through the procedure twice more for a total of 30 minutes. The last time you cycle key to off and then try to start, see if it will start.
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
FRUSTRUATED MOTHER
I went to the autozone and the throttle body comes up. It sounds like its not grabbing fuel. People say its the fuel pump but I drove it fine when I was able to spray it down. Now I dont hve tht option.I dont want to spend money on something that cost more than my rent if its not the problem.I think its the throttle because it has a screw holding it up. But I will do the antilock thing n c what that does.
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM
FRUSTRUATED MOTHER
I'm doing it now. To the right of my steering column it says theft system lit up but I also have dashboard lights indicating oiln check engine
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 10:12 PM
Go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 10:58 PM
FRUSTRUATED MOTHER
Well I charged the battery put gas in it n it acted like it wanted to start so I went and bought sensor cleaner n sprayed it not starting fluid but the sensor cleaner n cleaned it. Now it starts but shuts off again. So im thinking my huntch is right hoping its the throttle sensor.
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 2:42 AM
I wouldn't throw a sensor at it on a hunch. Is there something that leads you to suspect the throttle position sensor? You can use a digital multimeter at the tps signal wire, key on, work the throttle slowly, see if reading rises and falls smoothly. Goodluck.
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 12:03 AM