OVERHEATING

1996 Chevrolet Blazer

dhoch33

June, 14, 2011 AT 2:45 AM

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer ZR-2 that I recently replaced the thermostat in and my truck was able to run without overheating for about an hr and a half so I could drive back to college, however once I parked it and went to leave again several hours later it started to overheat again very quickly and does every time. I checked underneath it after leaving it and don't see any puddles from any leaks.. Any suggestions?

HondaMike

June, 14, 2011 AT 3:17 AM

After you replaced the thermostat, there is a possibility you had an air bubble in the system. After you fill the radiator and run the engine for a bit, the air will circulate out, but the coolant level will be low, which would cause an overheating problem.

Danlesabre

June, 14, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

Is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? How is the coolant level when it overheats?

June, 15, 2011 AT 4:02 PM

In degrees F, how hot is it getting? Does the radiator fan turn on?

dhoch33

June, 28, 2011 AT 7:15 AM

It is getting extremely hot and smoking, the radiator fan is turning on

June, 28, 2011 AT 6:02 PM

If the fan is belt driven, it will run with engine running. Just for testing, remove the thermostat, hook everything back up. With radiator cap removed, can you see coolant? If so, start the engine, can you see coolant flow? The flow should instant, without the thermostat. If no flow, check the water pump.

Maybe the radiator needs to be flushed? Does it run any cooler without the thermostat?

Oil pressure is good?

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage