HOW DI I COMPLETLY DRAIN COOLANT?

1996 Chevrolet Blazer

jamextras

April, 22, 2012 AT 12:45 PM

I just recently bought another 96 Blazer and the previous owner left a partial jug of green coolant in the back. I must assume that he's been topping the truck off with it. The problem is, when I when to back flush the the heater core, red coolant came out. What I need to know is how do I completely drain, flush and clean every single hose, tube and passage way the coolant sees during its circuit. I, and I'm sure many others would greatly appreciate comprehensive step-by-step insructions on how to do this. So far I've only been able to find summaries of this with no mention of the drain plugs on the engine itself (or their location) and how-tos on just flushing the radiator or heater core. Complete instructions would be a serious help. Thanks

hmac300

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:35 PM

There are no drain plugs on the engine. Only freeze plugs. You could have some serious trouble here as green and Orange coolant do not mix. But the best thing to do is get as much coolant out as you can and get some radiatior cleaner like prestone, that has oxyalic acid in it and follow the directions on the bottle. YOU DO NOT WANT RADITOR FLUSH. Then pull the lower rad hose to get all the crap out. Before filling iwth coolant however have the system checked for a bad head gaskets /intake gaskets, quite common on these, that's is why the guy kept adding to it. Normally head gaskets on these will leak to the outside of the engine.

jamextras

April, 24, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply but I already understand that the "best thing to do is get as much coolant out as" I can. What I asked was "how do I completely drain, flush and clean every single hose, tube and passage way the coolant sees during its circuit?" If you could detail that process step by step I'd really appreciate it.

hmac300

April, 24, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

The only thing I can advise here is stick a hose into the radiator ro buy one fo the kits that hook up to the heater hose. Open the petcock on the radiator and start ther truck up. Copletely draining the system like you want to do is very hard and without running water through it is about the only way to do it.

Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Coolant Drain and Refill
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe