I assume you mean there's no voltage there, not that it should be overheating. Look for a large fuse bolted into the under-hood fuse box. GM also used to tap off the larger starter terminal as a tie point, and there were fuse link wires coming off that connection. To test a fuse link, just pull on it. If it acts like a wire, it's okay. If it acts like a rubber band, it's burned open.
If you find the generator has a problem, replace the battery too unless it's less than about two years old, to prevent repeat generator failures. The generators produce huge voltage spikes that destroy the internal diodes and voltage regulator, and as the battery ages, it loses its ability to dampen and absorb those spikes.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 9:26 PM