MY 1996 CADILLAC DEVILLE IS NOT TURNING OVER WHEN STARTING. DO I NEED NEW STARTER OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE.

• babijess2002
  • 1996 Cadillac Deville

When I turn key it acts like it wants to start but doesn't. Like It's choking for life.

Friday, October 21st, 2011 AT 8:18 PM

• rasmataz

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems

with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing

belt/chain.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 10:31 AM