1996 Buick Skylark not fireing

APPLEJACK886
  • 1996 BUICK SKYLARK
My sons 96 buick skylark is not starting. We dropped the tank to check for the tar look because the gas smelled like varsol from the car sitting up but it was clean. We drained it anyway and put in fresh gas. We know the fuel pump is working because there is gas in the line where you would clean the fuel system. We took a plug out and plugged the plug into the wire and leaned the plug against the block while one of us turn the engine over and there was no spark. We took the module off and took it to get it checked. It was fine, so we put it back on. Now we were thinking about the crank sensor, but I'm not sure. Can yall help me and my son. Thanks. Applejack.
Saturday, November 13th, 2010 AT 1:48 AM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off. Just seeing fuel in the line is not acceptable.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, November 13th, 2010 AT 2:03 AM
Inspect and test the CPS

Crankshaft Position Sensor (7x) (3.1L VIN M)On lower right of engine, under exhaust manifold. See Fig. 2.
Crankshaft Position Sensor (24x) (3.1L VIN M)Right front of engine. See
Saturday, November 13th, 2010 AT 2:07 AM