No Brakes

SEAN.VR6
  • 1995 VOLKSWAGEN GTI
Just changed the master cylinder on 1995 Golf GTI VR6 and still no brakes. Thought I needed to bleed the slave cylinder and lost clutch pedal.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM

WRENCHTECH
I don't know what the slave cylinder had to do with the brakes but you have 2 problems now. It's not easy to bleed a clutch and now you have put air into the clutch system too. Your going to have to get the clutch bled properly to resolve that but the brakes are going to have to be thoroughly inspected to determine the problem with those. That could be anything. If you had a fluid loss, find out where it went.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:20 PM
SEAN.VR6
There is no fluid loss in the system. I figured because the brakes and the clucth use the same reservoir they might both need bleeding. I was obviously wrong.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:24 PM
WRENCHTECH
That would only apply if the reservoir went completely dry and it has partitions to prevent that.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:26 PM
SEAN.VR6
Well I guess it was dry once but only because I had to remove the reservoir to take off the master. My car also has a brake booster so this was the first experience without having to go under and remove it from the pedal like the old ones. Is there any other advice you might have so I can avoid bringing it in?
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:32 PM
WRENCHTECH
It sounds like you have exceeded your ability already. At this point we don't know if your original problem is still there or you have created a new one. I suggest you let a professional thoroughly bleed both systems and analyze whether there are any further issues.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:54 PM