TRANSMISSION

1995 Toyota Corolla

chienetfou

December, 30, 2013 AT 5:33 PM

On colder days the overdrive will not engage for several (10-15) miles and it is chewing up my fuel economy. After I drive for a while the overdrive kicks in. The problem seems to appear when the outside air temp is below 45 degrees. The colder it is the longer I have to drive before the overdrive will engage. What is causing this and how hard is it to fix

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

mhpautos

December, 31, 2013 AT 3:51 PM

Start with getting the transmission serviced first it may be an oil related problem, let me know if this helps.

chienetfou

December, 31, 2013 AT 4:38 PM

I had the tranny services jun of last year. Had the filters and oil changed. The first thing I checked when this started to occur was the oil color and level; both were ok

mhpautos

December, 31, 2013 AT 9:49 PM

Time to get it looked at by a professional, I feel that it will bean internal fault, may be a faulty solenoid.

mhpautos

December, 31, 2013 AT 9:49 PM

chienetfou

January, 1, 2014 AT 7:07 AM

Can the solenoid be removed and the wires spliced/joined to make a permanent connection? Like you can do with the clutch switch that prevents you from starting a manual transmission vehicle unless the clutch is all the way to the floor

mhpautos

No, not as simple as that, keeping the transmission in overdrive all the time will damage the transmission.

chienetfou

Is the solenoid hard to get to and replace or just time consuming? Also how common are the manual transmissions for this car?

mhpautos

January, 2, 2014 AT 3:44 AM

Time consuming and can be tricky as it is in the valve body, not something I would recommend that you do as there is a chance that more damage can be done if extreme care is not taken with transmission work, get a few quotes it may not be that expensive having it done by a professional, as for manuals, plenty out there but a big job to do a conversion.

chienetfou

Thanks for all the info and time. Have a good new year.

mhpautos

January, 3, 2014 AT 3:29 AM

Not a problem, have a safe new year and thank you for using 2carpros.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Automatic Transmission Service