1995 TOYOTA COROLLA TRANSMISSION

• chienetfou
  • 1995 Toyota Corolla
  • automatic

On colder days the overdrive will not engage for several (10-15) miles and it is chewing up my fuel economy. After I drive for a while the overdrive kicks in. The problem seems to appear when the outside air temp is below 45 degrees. The colder it is the longer I have to drive before the overdrive will engage. What is causing this and how hard is it to fix

Monday, December 30th, 2013 AT 5:33 PM

• mhpautos

Start with getting the transmission serviced first it may be an oil related problem, let me know if this helps.

Tuesday, December 31st, 2013 AT 3:51 PM
  • chienetfou

I had the tranny services jun of last year. Had the filters and oil changed. The first thing I checked when this started to occur was the oil color and level; both were ok

Tuesday, December 31st, 2013 AT 4:38 PM
  • mhpautos

Time to get it looked at by a professional, I feel that it will bean internal fault, may be a faulty solenoid.

Tuesday, December 31st, 2013 AT 9:49 PM
  • chienetfou

Can the solenoid be removed and the wires spliced/joined to make a permanent connection? Like you can do with the clutch switch that prevents you from starting a manual transmission vehicle unless the clutch is all the way to the floor

Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 AT 7:07 AM
  • mhpautos

No, not as simple as that, keeping the transmission in overdrive all the time will damage the transmission.

Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 AT 12:17 PM
  • chienetfou

Is the solenoid hard to get to and replace or just time consuming? Also how common are the manual transmissions for this car?

Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 AT 4:06 PM
  • mhpautos

Time consuming and can be tricky as it is in the valve body, not something I would recommend that you do as there is a chance that more damage can be done if extreme care is not taken with transmission work, get a few quotes it may not be that expensive having it done by a professional, as for manuals, plenty out there but a big job to do a conversion.

Thursday, January 2nd, 2014 AT 3:44 AM
  • chienetfou

Thanks for all the info and time. Have a good new year.

Thursday, January 2nd, 2014 AT 1:33 PM
  • mhpautos

Not a problem, have a safe new year and thank you for using 2carpros.

Friday, January 3rd, 2014 AT 3:29 AM