1995 Toyota Camry Car stalls at highway speed

AUNTYSOCIAL
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
Car seemed to hesitate intermittently while driving and then stalled at speed. No check engine lights displayed at all. Car would turn over but not start for 30 minutes. Towed to shop. Mechanics replaced cracked throttle body hose, air filter and PCV valve. They let it run and it quit after 90 minutes, sat for a bit then restarted then quit. Mechanic said no spark at distributor, had ruled out fuel filter and pump somehow. The shop didn't say anything about ignitor or coil but jumped right to bad ECM. Help!
Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 5:17 AM

ASEMASTER6371
The ecm is the last thing I would suggest. Distributors are common failures for this

Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 8:20 AM
AUNTYSOCIAL
Thank you Roy. We broke down out of town so will return to our regular mechanic and go from there. Thought it sounded like it went worst case pretty quick.
Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 8:48 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Good luck. There are a lot of guys that make conclusions based on nothing but a guess.

Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 8:51 AM
AUNTYSOCIAL
OK, so second mechanic looked it over, confident that it was not ECM. He did diagnose distributor problems and suggests replacing plugs, ignition wires, distributors, sensors. And I can't remember the list as I'm away from my noted. Question. Is it usual to replace a number of things in this circumstance? Or is some of this maintenance as he said it would get the car running the way it should?
Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 11:07 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Just tel them to replace the distributor first to be sure the car will run

Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 11:13 AM
AUNTYSOCIAL
OK, as in other stuff is maintenance and don't bother yet until rule out that distributor is problem? Not interested in doing maintenance until bigger problem is diagnosed and fixed. Given age and value of car won't take too many dollars to hit a different decision point.

Car ran today in the shop for 2 hours before quitting. Guy says that ECM is doing what it's supposed to do.
Monday, August 24th, 2015 AT 11:20 AM
AUNTYSOCIAL
Follow up post. Other mechanic tracked issue to ignition coil and ignition control module. Recommending to replace those to include distributor plus cap and rotor and plugs for good measure. Looking at $850 from local shop. Wish I was handier with cars.

Thanks again Roy for your help. Now have to decide when it makes sense to pull plug on 20 year old car.
Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 AT 7:16 AM