Fuel pump or spark plugs?

PONTIACGP95
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Not even 50000 miles ago I replaced the pump, filter and exchange, but yesterday when driving the car slowly puttered to a stall then would not restart. I've been having trouble getting engine to start (will just click but not turn over) but after a few trys and pumps of gas pedal it will fire up. The shop wanted to charge me almost 500 for a new pump, how can I tell if there trying to rob me and its really pump or sparks?
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 2:50 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
You could have a pump relay that is failing intermitantly. It is also called the main relay in most cases. If you listen closely when the key is turned to "ON" position you will hear a whirring noise which is fuel pump priming system.
You may alsohave an issue with ignition coil(s). They can be tested for resistance levels.

If the engine clicks without cranking, it is more likely to be a fault with the battery, starter or ignition switch.

Have the battery, alternator charging and ignition switch checked.
Ensure battery terminals are clean and secure.
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 6:56 PM

Sponsored links