I HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON NOT ALL THE TIME

1995 Mercury Sable

davidg2006

July, 9, 2011 AT 8:42 PM

I have a check engine light on, not all the time. When it is on the transmission is not shifting right. I can only get up to 45mph at 3000rpm. What can this be?

saturntech9

July, 9, 2011 AT 8:47 PM

The first thing I need from you is the exact codes your computer has that is are starting point.

davidg2006

July, 9, 2011 AT 9:08 PM

I've tried to pull the code and it wont show. I did it by jumping the eec under the hood like it showed me on the computer and the light goes off.

saturntech9

July, 9, 2011 AT 9:19 PM

Have you tried a analog volt meter instead of watch the light?Meaning a volt meter with a needle not digital.

davidg2006

July, 9, 2011 AT 9:40 PM

No I don't have one of those. The attached image is how I did it. I used a jumper wire instead of a test light.

saturntech9

July, 9, 2011 AT 9:54 PM

Looks like. Your going to have to try a different way or you may to just get a scanner that will read your car. If the lights coming on and its acting up we need to start with what codes it has.

davidg2006

July, 9, 2011 AT 10:04 PM

What kind of different way that I can try because I don't have a scanner, and I've been trying to pull the code all day, I know the code is what I need. I really need to get this car going because it's my only way to work. It started doing this yesterday. Thank you for your help.

saturntech9

July, 9, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

Here are the ways I have listed to retrive codes analog volt meter scanner check engine light and star series tester.

davidg2006

July, 9, 2011 AT 10:50 PM

Thank you, I will try to contact a buddy that might have one of those. I will get back with you and let you now the code.

saturntech9

July, 9, 2011 AT 10:55 PM

Your welcome keep me posted best thing you could get is a obd1 scanner that would work on your car.