Radio turns on but no sound

YUKON78
  • 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
95 jeep grand cherokee laredo Antanna does not go up either, was replaced 3 years ago. How can I fix it? Pulled radio out but everything seems to be connected corectly
Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM

MHPAUTOS
Could be a faulty amp if fitted or a blown amp fuse, I will look into it further.
-1
Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 9:43 PM
YUKON78
Checked red fuse 10 and its for the radio and its fine.
Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 10:45 PM
Hi guys. Most likely the problem is in the radio. Once those problems are repaired, they're repaired permanently. Sounds like you have a cassette-only or cd-only radio.

In the gray plug, measure the voltage on the two wires at the end away from the keyway. The first one is usually pink. It must have 12 volts all the time. The second one will be red, possibly with a stripe. It has 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned on. If the display lights up when you turn on the ignition switch, the red wire is okay. If the clock keeps the correct time, the pink memory wire is okay.

You can verify everything else is okay by jumping the red wire to the end wire in the black plug away from its keyway. That's the switched wire for an amp and / or power antenna. Jumping those wires might cause the radio to turn on too, depending on where the problem is located within the radio.

Also be sure the ground strap is bolted to the back of the radio or there is a wire clipped to it. There is no other ground wire in the two plugs. If that strap or wire is missing, the radio might work by getting grounded through the antenna cable, but that's a very poor ground for the power circuits. Typically when the ground is missing, the radio will be totally dead and the back lights won't turn on with the dash lights either.

If you have the cd player without cassette, that radio is built by Alpine. They are rather involved taking apart but that problem also is repaired permanently once it's been done. A common clue is the cd player does have sound. Only the radio has no sound. At the same time if you press either "Seek" button, you'll see the display advance very slowly, about one digit every three or four seconds. There is a different problem that affects only the FM and another one that causes intermittent display fading out. I address all of those when a dealer ships me a radio to fix. Also volume controls that respond poorly and front panel switches that perform the wrong function or don't work at all. I can be more specific if you tell me the model number from the sticker on top.

If you have a cd / cassette combo radio, that was not original in the Jeep in '95 but it will plug in and work fine if you can find one with the oddball mounting ears. Those are built by Mitsubishi and are REAL high quality. That mounting style was only used from '93 to '95 and only in the Jeep line, then again in the late '90s in the Avenger, but those had an orange display and back lighting.
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 6:45 AM
MHPAUTOS
You need to check all fuses in pic, use atest light if you have one.
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 9:12 AM
Hi guys. This is commonly a problem in the radio. Rather than retype everything I did last night, then lost when the web site went down, I can give you a lot more information if you tell me the radio model number or if it's a cassette-only or cd-only radio. Most of the problems are with the cd-only radio. It's built by Alpine and has a number of problems that are fixed permanently once repaired.

First you can check for 12 volts on two wires in the gray plug on the end away from the keyway. The first one, usually pink, must have 12 volts all the time. The next one, red, and possibly with a stripe, must have 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned on. If the display turns on when the ignition switch is turned on, that red wire is okay. If the clock always maintains the right time, the pink wire is okay.

Also be sure there is a braided ground strap bolted to the back or a black wire clipped to the back. There is no ground wire in either plug. The radio can work if it grounds through the antenna cable, but that's a real poor ground for the power circuits.

If you have the cd-only radio, they lose sound on just the radio. The cd player should be okay yet. The additional clue is when you press either "Seek" button, the display will advance one digit very slowly, perhaps once per three or four seconds.

There is a different problem that causes no sound just on FM, and another one that causes the display to fade out intermittently. When a dealer ships one to me for repair, I address all of those issues at the same time. Also, the volume control can respond erratically and the front switches might perform the wrong functions or not work at all.

If you have a cd / cassette combo radio, those were built by Mitsubishi and are REAL high quality. They did not come in the '95 Jeeps as original equipment. Any other Chrysler radio will plug in and work but the '93 - '95 Jeeps used different mounting ears than all the other Chrysler products and years. The only original combo radio that will mount was found in the late '90 Avengers but they had orange displays.

If voltage is missing to the pink wire, look for a blown interior lights fuse, usually a 10 or 15 amp. Also look for a fuse for the remote amplifier. Some models used an amp under the right rear seat. As I recall, if the fuse is blown, you'll have no sound at all on any function. Some Infinity models used little amplifiers bolted to the speakers. If the fuse is blown, those will still have some very tinny sound from the tweeters. They are not powered by the amps. Any amplifier-related problem will affect the radio, cassette player, and / or cd player. If anything works, the amp is okay.

The ground for the relay that turns the amp on is that black wire clipped to the back of the radio.
-1
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 3:19 PM
UDMAN2006
Where is the relay or fuse for the amp? I have a similar problem with no sound from the speakers in any mode.
+2
Monday, December 10th, 2012 AT 2:51 PM