HOW TO YOU REPLACE FRONT WHEEL STUDS?

1995 Honda Civic

sgtmajor

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:29 PM

1995 Honda Civic Ex - broken wheel studs on right front.

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

Remove the wheel. Remove the cailper and the rotor. Pound out the studs and use an installer for pulling through the new studs. You may have to grind off a flat spot on the new ones to get them into the hub.

Make sure you torque the wheel when completed.

sgtmajor

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:40 PM

I cant hammer out the broken ones because they hit the hub and it doesnt look like there is alot of clearance to get the broken ones out and the new ones in?

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

Move the hub around so you can get some clearance to remove. Otherwise, the hub would have to be removed.

sgtmajor

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:48 PM

How do you remove the hub?

September, 30, 2012 AT 3:50 PM

The axle nut has to be removed, the upper and lower ball joints broken free. The outer tie rod end broken free and then the hub has to be pressed out of the bearing.

I would let a shop look at it first as we have no issues replacing them with it all together.

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:05 PM

Loosen the axle shaft nut and use a slide hammer to pull the hub out for additional clearance to remove/install the stud.

Care has to be taken while tightening the axle nut as improper handling can and will damage the wheel bearing.

sgtmajor

September, 30, 2012 AT 4:11 PM

Thanks Roy, you just confirmed what I already knew!But some people need more than one persons opinion! Thanks again

September, 30, 2012 AT 6:04 PM

If you take the knuckle out, you are going to have problem getting the hub pressed out.

Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz