RUSTY PART FELL OFF CAR (SEE PICTURE).

1995 Honda Civic

kmdoran

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

Not sure what it is? I plan to take the car in, but I want to know what to expect at the shop. Car had been making a rattling noise. Now I know the source, as it has fallen off. On the plus side, the rattling stopped : ) but the engine light did come on.

Picture of the rusty part - 14 inch half tube, ribbed - is attached.

TIA!

Jacobandnickolas

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:51 PM

That is a heat shield. It was part of the exhaust system. It was welded to the exhaust and seperated the exhaust from the floor of the car to eliminate heat against the floor. They do rattle when the welds come loose. I always take a couple hose clamps and strap them in place to eliminate the noise and hold them where they belong.

kmdoran

October, 13, 2011 AT 6:00 PM

Thanks! Could that falling off really cause the engine light to come on? Engine light came on 24 hours later.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 13, 2011 AT 6:24 PM

No, unless it cut an oxygen sensor. Have the computer scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Most parts stores will do it for free.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage