Transmission won't engage when hot

WRECKER1
  • 1995 HONDA CIVIC
After it sits a while it go's again, but repeats. Can someone help?My 95 Honda civic is giving me problems, more-less the trans. It runs fine when its cold, but after it gets warm it wont "go" anymore. Its like its not engaging anymore. I have heard all things from the shift solenoids to the tcm. Can someone please shed some light? Should I change the fluid and try the brake fluid trick? What would cause it to slip, torque conv?
Thanks.
Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 10:51 PM

KHLOW2008
Check the transmission fluid condition and level first.
Low transmisison fluid level can cause the problem.

Drain out some fluid and check for debris. If any found, the strainer is clogged and the trans is due for retirement.

Filter (strainer ) is inside the trans and can only be accessed byt stripping the transmission.
+4
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 2:52 PM
WRECKER1
And if the fluid and filter are fresh and new, then would I look at the torque converter?
+4
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:01 PM
KHLOW2008
Though the torque converter is possible but I have yet to see any fail yet.

Most probably there is an internal pressure leak and if you wish to diagnose, getting the oil pressure readings would be the first thing you need to do when it fails to engage.
+2
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:18 PM
WRECKER1
So, then would it be safe to say, that it would probably be in my wallets best intrest to just get a used one or refurbed, and save time & $?
+1
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:22 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes, that would be the best way to go about.

This transmission does not use shift solenoids so it is not likely to be solenoid faults.

Shifting is mechanical with only one control valve and that is for the torque converter lock-up.
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 5:31 PM
WRECKER1
Right on. Thanks for your time and brain, bro.
+1
Thursday, June 14th, 2012 AT 10:31 PM
WRECKER1
Actually, I have one more, it started whinding real bad like maybe the starter or the flywheel or maybee even the dustributer was dragging or rubbing like?
Thursday, June 14th, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
KHLOW2008
Where is the noise coming from?

A bearing inside the distributor is known to fail quite commonly and that ould be the cause if the noise is from there.
Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 5:16 PM
WRECKER1
Sounds more like as if the starter hasn't pulled back ll the way, sort of, like a corner of a playing card in the spokes, now what I meen?
-1
Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 5:22 PM
WRECKER1
But a high, whinnig pitch
+1
Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
KHLOW2008
Get a rubber hose and place it near to where it is coming from to locate the exact source. Of course you need to place one end to one of your ear. Lol
Saturday, June 16th, 2012 AT 2:00 PM
PHILJEN811
  • 1996 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX 1.6 L with an Automatic transmission. The problem I'm having is the transmission absolutely will not engage at random times. What we're experiencing is that it will start up fine and go shifting normally, sometimes a few feet sometimes a few miles, but at random times it just stops pulling all together no matter what gear you are in we get nothing not even a budge. We turn the car off let it set for about 5 minutes or so start it up shift to neutral then to drive and its ready to go again sometimes for a few feet or sometimes a few miles. We did notice a buzzing noise coming from the linear solenoid could that be a sign that it is faulty and causing the symptoms we are having? We did remove the linear solenoid and inspect it but we haven't done a resistance test on it and we are having trouble finding one somewhere in stock they wanted a $195 for one at the Honda dealership! Please help if you can we need this thing fixed ASAP thanks a lot in advance!
Monday, December 18th, 2017 AT 8:04 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Did you check for trouble codes?
Is the fluid level corect and what is condition of fluid?
Try cleaning the linear solenoid.
+1