AFTER MY 95 WARMS UP IT STOPS SHIFTING OR ENGAGING ALL TOGETHER

1995 Honda Civic

wrecker1

June, 12, 2012 AT 10:51 PM

After it sits a while it go's again, but repeats. Can someone help?My 95 Honda civic is giving me problems, more-less the trans. It runs fine when its cold, but after it gets warm it wont "go" anymore. Its like its not engaging anymore. I have heard all things from the shift solenoids to the tcm. Can someone please shed some light? Thanks.

mhpautos

June, 12, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

Sounds as it the transmission is slipping badly, I would go get it checked over by a trans specialist, short of checking that the oil is full clean and not burnt, not a lot more that you can do at home with this problem.

wrecker1

June, 12, 2012 AT 11:07 PM

Should I change the fluid and try the brake fluid trick?

June, 12, 2012 AT 11:18 PM

You can try changing the fluid and filter and see what happens-won't hurt to try

wrecker1

June, 13, 2012 AT 1:00 AM

What would cause it to slip, torque conv?

June, 13, 2012 AT 2:52 PM

Check the transmission fluid condition and level first.
Low transmisison fluid level can cause the problem.

Drain out some fluid and check for debris. If any found, the strainer is clogged and the trans is due for retirement.

Filter (strainer ) is inside the trans and can only be accessed byt stripping the transmission.

wrecker1

June, 13, 2012 AT 3:01 PM

And if the fluid and filter are fresh and new, then would I look at the torque converter?

June, 13, 2012 AT 3:18 PM

Though the torque converter is possible but I have yet to see any fail yet.

Most probably there is an internal pressure leak and if you wish to diagnose, getting the oil pressure readings would be the first thing you need to do when it fails to engage.

wrecker1

June, 13, 2012 AT 3:22 PM

So, then would it be safe to say, that it would probably be in my wallets best intrest to just get a used one or refurbed, and save time & $?

June, 13, 2012 AT 5:31 PM

Yes, that would be the best way to go about.

This transmission does not use shift solenoids so it is not likely to be solenoid faults.

Shifting is mechanical with only one control valve and that is for the torque converter lock-up.

wrecker1

June, 14, 2012 AT 10:31 PM

Right on. Thanks for your time and brain, bro.