95 Civic - cylinder dropped then wont start

RSAIN
  • 1995 HONDA CIVIC
1995 Honda Civic. 200,000m. Driving up a hill and major power loss. Ran on 3 cylinders for 20 miles home. Changed plugs and wires (needed it anyway). Started car. Did not solve problem. Turned car off and checked for spark at every point. All clear. Tried to start again and now it wont start. What should I test next? Fuel delivery? Any ideas to the cause?
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 7:10 AM

MHPAUTOS
Check the compressions, let me know what they are, start here.

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 7:58 AM
RSAIN
Will do. Will only get to this on Friday but I'll report back. The part that is disconcerting is that it would run on 3 - then suddenly quit (3 min of run time after the new plug wires). Exhaust does not smell heavily of fuel either.

Thanks for your assistance.

- ryan
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 3:37 PM
MHPAUTOS
OK, will keep an eye out for your post.

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 11:21 PM
RSAIN
Sorry for the delay. Working too much lately to get to this. But the bus is getting old!

Finally checked compression: 125 +/- 5% on all cylinders. Did the fuel filter (was time anyway). No luck. Plenty of fuel in and out of the filter. Not sure what to check next. I have spark. I have fuel (to the rails, and there is fuel on the plugs after trying to start. I have compression.

Timing belt might have slipped and ready to die on me? This is an interference motor (I think) - but no weird noises at this point (pistons slapping valves).

Any ideas are appreciated.

- ryan
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 6:08 PM
RSAIN
I went back out there this morning. Something seemed odd so I checked compression again. Just to be sure. Second from the passenger side (is that number 3) is reading zero today. The rest are all holding around 125. I clearly ******ed something up last night when checking (i.E, missed that cylinder). That is the same cylinder that dropped when I was on the road.

- ryan
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 7:10 PM
MHPAUTOS
Do a wet test, add about 1 tea spoon of oil into the cyl and re test, if the comps go up it will be rings, if not valve or head gasket, let me know what you find.

Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 9:32 PM
RSAIN
Checked compression again. This time wet in the bad cylinder. Still zero. And do I mean zero - the needle doesn't even bump when it's cranked on.

- ryan
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 12:32 AM
MHPAUTOS
Burnt or stuck valve I would say, I feel that it is time to pull the head.

Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 6:39 AM
RSAIN
Oh joy. More like it's time for a new car or maybe just a b16a swap. :-) In the mean time I'll pop open the head and take a look. Will report back - but wont be until the end of the week. Thank you for all your help to this point!

- ryan
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 8:55 AM
MHPAUTOS
OK, good luck, hope it's not all bad news.

Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 8:57 AM