Oil leak under timing belt area

DARLENEDEDORA
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
1995 Honda Accord Wagon oil leak under the timing belt. How do I fix this?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

FIXITMR
Is it a bad leak? Clean and inspect area with a solvent like spray start and run a liitle to find leak. If its a gasket joint you may be able to apply silicone sealer to stop leak. If it's the timing cover crank seal you will have to replace it.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:32 PM
FIXITMR
Also check for any loose bolts in area of leak.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:35 PM
DARLENEDEDORA
Yes, it is a light, but constant drip. I get a puddle about the size of a 3 inch area every day. Just bought this car for my 83 year old mother, but can't give it to her with this leak. What do you think it will cost to fix it. Is it hard to get to? My son is not a mechanic but does the basics under the hood. He seems to think it is from the timing area. If it's the timing cover crank seal, which it sounds like it is, how involved is it to fix?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:44 PM
DARLENEDEDORA
I will have my son check the bolts also.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 9:49 PM
DARLENEDEDORA
Are there any videos or pictures showing what can be leaking under the timing cover crank seal? By the way, thank you for replying to my questions.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 10:15 PM
F4I_GUY
When's the last time you had your timing belt replaced? If it's been awhile, purchase a timing belt kit somewhere, these will include all the necessary seals that would be causing the leak.

The only way to know which seals are leaking is to remove the timing covers (roughly takes 30 minutes to remove the covers). Due to the age of the vehicle, pretty much everything is probably going to have a slight leak, this will include balance shaft cover, cam seals crank seal, oil pan and valve cover. Cam seals/balance shaft covers tend to leak the most on your vehicle.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 10:49 PM
DARLENEDEDORA
I just purchased this vehicle last weekend in a snow storm. So I don't know much about this vehicle and certainly was unable to know that it was leaking anything. I appreciate your helpful advice and will find someone to tackle this from the information you provided. Do you live in Colorado? Maybe I can hire you!
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 11:10 PM
FIXITMR
Actually a 3 inch spot is not very much of a leak? Do you live that far away from your mother? Does she drive alot? By the way very cold weather can contribute to leaking that may not be noticeably present at all once season warm up.
+1
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 6:42 AM
DARLENEDEDORA
About 25 miles from my mom. Thank you for your welcomed advice. I will explore all the information you have given me. Thanks for all your help. This is a great website. Thanks again.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 12:49 PM