1995 GMC Jimmy will not crank or start

KACIE615
  • 1995 GMC JIMMY
Last night I drove the truck at night time on about an 8 hour drive and it ran fine. Then the next morning I woke up the vehicle battery was completely dead. We attempted to jump start it by charging it with another vehicle and the battery took the charge. So once again when I placed the key in the run position the lights, powered windows and locks all worked. However when I turned the key all the way to start nothing happened. The key While turned all the way to the "on" made no noise whatsoever. There was no ticking noise and the engine did not even attempt to crank or turnover. At that point a friend of mine checked the battery starter from underneath the truck and while the key was in the on position he tapped the silionoid to see if it turned and it did but we did not attempt to completely start it. Then the next time I put my key into the ignition and turned it all the way on trying to turn the engine over I was also checking to see if my lights dimmed or not. When the key is turned they do dim only at the start position otherwise they Stay bright. However next when I tried to start the car I was holding the key for about 3 seconds in the start position trying to listen for any noise where there would normally be the crank but instead I noticed the steering column began to Lightly smoke!
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 12:21 PM

WRENCHTECH
If the starter engaged when it was tapped on, then the starter is bad.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 12:33 PM
KACIE615
I am so sorry I really do appreciate you bearing with me on this one but I know nothing about cars. So I do apologize ahead of time if my questions sound a bit amateur. Alright, Can you please explain to me How I could go about double checking this because when we first tried this I asked my friends why it didn't completely start then like I've heard it does for other people? That's when my other buddy who was there told me that my friend who tapped on it originally didn't do it long enough to let the engine catch. You see now I am sitting here watching my friend attempt to dismantle my steering column to remove my ignition switch because she's under the impression that's what it is due to the smoke coming from the steering column.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 1:02 PM
WRENCHTECH
You had smoke coming from the steering column?

You have bigger issues than a starter. You really need to have the car looked at by a professional, not your friends.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 1:21 PM
KACIE615
Yes I di understand that the issue is quite serious however at the moment I am stuck with my hands tied. You see if you can recall in the very begining of these posts I mentioned an 8 hour drive. Well I just recently moved from Orange County CA to Kentucky. (Yes I drove the Jimmy here) however I drove 8 hours the other night to Arkansas in which I am currently still located due to my current issue with my vehicle. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting the proper assistance needed until I get back to Kentucky. That is why I came here to this site in hopes that you guys might be able to help me to find a temporary fix that would possibly get me up and running so that I can get to where things can be better Diagnosed and attended to.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 2:21 PM
KACIE615
Do you think it is going to be helpful if we go and purchase a key lock and switch assembly? Now, "Yes", my steering column did have a second of smoke however the thing that caused it to do that was me holding the key totally turned to the start position for around 3 seconds. Also you should know that Prior to this I was having problems with my ignition switch when I would put my key in the ignition and try to turn it from the locked position it would give me problems sometimes not unlocking for a couple of minutes After many attempts.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 2:30 PM
WRENCHTECH
I understand your dilemma but that doesn't change the facts of the situation. Smoke in a steering column usually means melted wires. Melted wires short together and cause more shorts and fires. You need electrical knowledge, testing equipment and the ability to follow a wiring diagram to even be able to determine the extent of the damage. That system has an immobilizer that will be effected if you mess with the ignition lock also.
Thursday, October 1st, 2015 AT 3:08 PM