!995 Windstar

S6LIN9S
  • 1995 FORD WINDSTAR
Will not start problem started after driving off a curb slowly, first no start at all, then it started ran for about a mile to home and fine. Then started fine next morning same problem but now it will only run till its put into Drive. Pored a small amount of gas into air filter and then started, but ran only short time before same problem. Now will not start I have a New battery, turns over fine, plenty of fuel, will not start. Checked emergency shut off and fine. Please help me trouble shoot.
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 3:53 AM

CALLENRSUE
Are you sure the fuel pump is turning on? Can you hear it if you pull the gas cap off and cycle the key? It should turn on for a couple of seconds or run when cranking the engine. Do you have a fuel pressure tester check the fuel pressure. Also check your fuse if you don't hear it run.
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 4:05 AM
The above listed information is a good place to start. If the vehicle will start when you prime it with fuel, then it isn't getting fuel. You need to first check fuel pump pressure. Refer to our home page under the DIY section. Look up checking fuel pump pressure and there is both directions and a video that shows you exactly what to do. You will need a pressure gauge, but most parts stores will lend you one. If you have good pressure, then you need to check if the injectors are getting power. To do this, you need what is called a noid light. Unplug one of the fuel injectors and plug the light in. Have a helper crank the engine. The light should pulse everytime the injector gets power. If there is no pulse, trace the wiring back to the PCM to determine if there is power there.

If you are not getting fuel pressure, before doing anything, I want you to check the electronic engine control (EEC) relay. Under the hood, you will find a relay block. Under the lid it will list what each relay is for. Switch the EEC relay with another one from the block with the same part number. Recheck to see if it will start or if you are now getting fuel pressure. If that doesn't help, do the same with the fuel pump relay. If that doens't help, you need to remove the fuel tank and check to see if there is power to the fuel pump. If there is, the pump is bad. If there is no power, you have an open circuit (broken wire, damaged, or corroded) between the relay and the pump.
Sunday, January 16th, 2011 AT 4:29 AM