I have a Ford Taurus that is getting hot in town but not on the highway, could this possibly be the fan?

TUDORMAESTRO
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
I just ran our ford taurus for about 30 mins mostly highway. And it ran at about the n of normal on the gauge while going 70mph. However, once I returned to town running 30mph and hitting traffic lights. The engine heated up quickly jumping into the red within 5 min. When I stopped at home I looked at the radiator fan itself and found it wasn't on. Could the sensor for the fan or the fan itself be bad? If so. Is the sensor and fan seperate or bought as one unit?
Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

SEE IF YOUR COOLING FAN(S) RUN AT IDLE, WHEN OVER HEAT OCCURS

IF NOT CHECK FUSES, OR RELAY FOR THE FAN

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD AIRFLOW THRU THE RADIATOR IT WILL SOMETIME BE ENOUGH TO COOL IT (HIGHWAY)

MY '46 WILLYS JEEP, THREW OFF ONE OF IT'S 4 BLADES ON THE FAN. ALL I COULD DO WAS BREAK OFF THE OPPOSITE BLADE, AFTER ABOUT 5 MILES ANOTHER JUST ABOUT CAME OFF.

THIS IS ONE REASON WHY, THEY TELL YOU TO NEVER STRAIGHTEN A FAN (WHICH I DID LONG AGO, 'CAUSE IT WAS BENT UP, WHILE I WAS RESURRECTING "WILLY" FROM NOTHINGNESS).I RECKON I WAS LUCKY, NOT TO LOSE THE RADIATOR, OR MY FACE FOR THAT MATTER!

I WAS ABOUT 100 MILES OUT, ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS TO SNATCH THE FAN OFF, OR GET TOWED HOME

LUCKILY, THE WATER PUMP PULLEY IS PRESSED ONTO THE WP SHAFT, AND REMOVING MY H. ELL DAMAGED 1-1/2 BLADED FAN LEFT MY ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP STILL OPERATIONAL BY THE BELT.

MY BUDDY SAID, IT'D NEVER MAKE IT 5 MILES

WILLY, WITH HIS LOW GEARING, AND MASSIVE "L-134", 45 HORSEPOWER, 4 CYLINDER ENGINE. MAX COMFORTABLE CRUISE SPEED 50 MPH. TRAVELED 75 MILES ON INTERSTATE 85, AND ANOTHER 25 OR SO, TO THE HOUSE. TEMP, REMAINED NORMAL THE WHOLE TRIP!

THE ODDEST PART WAS THE "SIGNATURE" JEEP/ FAN SOUND, WAS NOT PRESENT, AND THE TRIP WAS VERY QUIET!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING SOMETHING, I HAVE ACCESS TO DIAGRAMS AND WIRE DIAGRAMS, THAT MAY HELP YOU!

AS FAR AS YOUR RELAY, IF, "IT'S LESSER IMPORTANT EXACT TWIN" IS PRESENT NEAR IT (LIKE MIRRORS, ETC), SWAP THEM AS A TEST. BUY ANOTHER, IF THAT ONE IS BAD. IF IT'S GOOD, YOU HAVE SPENT NO MONEY, BUT ELIMINATED, THAT AS A FACTOR.

I'M STILL HERE!

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 4:34 AM