1995 Ford Taurus Taurus

TABICAKES79
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
After I drive for about 5 minutes or so, the car smells a lot like the catalytic converter. The check engine light comes on, the car loses power on acceleration, and sometimes sputters and backfires. There is black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. The diagnostics wouldn't return engine codes, only that the mass air flow was malfunctioning. I am at a loss, its not the pcv valve either.
Friday, September 18th, 2015 AT 12:39 PM

Sputtering is a sign of a misfire. The unburned fuel will burn in the catalytic converter and overheat it. The black smoke from the tail pipe is proof of too much fuel going into the exhaust system. If the catalytic converter isn't damaged already, it will be if you continue trying to drive like this. Once the catalyst melts, it will block the exhaust system. That can lead to what sounds like a backfire, but if the engine is otherwise running properly, the clue to a plugged catalytic converter is a smooth and steady hiss from the tail pipe instead of the normal "putt putt".

If there's no diagnostic fault code, how did you determine the mass air flow sensor is "malfunctioning"? What exactly do you mean by that? That sensor is the main one for determining fuel metering calculations, so if it's reporting a wrong value, you're going to get the wrong amount of fuel.
Saturday, September 19th, 2015 AT 9:15 PM
TABICAKES79
I am only repeating what the man who ran the diagnostics said. Someone else said I need an obd1 reader for a Ford. The muffler shop said there would not be black smoke coming out if it is the catalytic converter. I think I am being BS'd because the car is so old and nobody wants to do the work. Unless they are just as much at a loss as I am. I still think it is the catalytic converter. It smells like eggs very strong when it warms up and starts acting up. It also has a strong fuel smell when this happens. We just had a tune up, also.
Thursday, September 24th, 2015 AT 10:02 AM
TABICAKES79
The man that ran diagnostics said that the MAF sensor needs to be replaced or cleaned. Idk.
Thursday, September 24th, 2015 AT 10:04 AM
The gas smell and sputtering proves there's a spark-related misfire and too much unburned gas is going into the exhaust system where it will burn in the catalytic converter and overheat it. The egg smell proves the catalyst material is being destroyed by continuing to drive the car.

Most likely the catalytic converter will need to be replaced, but you have to diagnose and fix the problem that caused it to fail. Catalytic converters don't fail without a cause.
Friday, September 25th, 2015 AT 10:42 PM