Heater core

DOITMYSELF
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
I have a 1995 Ford Taurus that is leaking "something" from the front. Not water as it does not evaporate. Burning smell after driving for a while using heater. Heater does not seem to be producing as much heat as it should. Could this be a heater core problem? If so, how would I know?
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:24 AM

Check the heater core if its leaking and also check the thermostat and also the heater control valve
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:39 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Is the leak inside the car or in the engine bay?
Anti-Freeze has a sorta sweet smell, does it ever smell like that or just the burnt smell from heater vent?
When was the Anti-Freeze last serviced an the car?
Does the car have any other cooling/overheating issues?
Let me know, but it does sound like the heater core is bad.
I will respond ASAP.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:40 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
This does sound like the heater core is leaking and it may be getting the burnt smell from being too close to electrical items such as the blower motor and/or resistor depending on the car.
Either way, it should be repaired ASAP as the burnt smell is not a good sign and this is an indicator of the overall condition of the cooling system.
The heater box, which is under the dash, needs to be removed to inspect for possible damage to electrics, and to access and remove the core.
If the heater core is leaking it is generally from corrosion eating at it over time.
That is why the entire cooling system; thermostat, hoses and valves come into questions as the entire system has some level of the same corrosion or typical wear. The labor to remove and replace the core is pretty intensive as compared to the labor needed to follow through with a good system flush, inspection and replacement of all components and finally a pressure test to ensure a tight closed system.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 4:50 AM