Poor brakes

DIRTYJOB
  • 1995 FIAT CINQUECENTO

I have a Cinquecento sporting, and the rear brake shoes on both sides, have only the slightest of bite, I can turn the wheels by hand, even with handbrake full on and foot brake at the same time. The handbrake cable is working fine with plenty of adjustment left, the brake shoes looked ok, but I did put a new set in, the cylinders are not ceased and both work, the drums are shiny smooth with no major scores and the wear ridge is only slight, the car has done 65,000 miles. The thing that I could think it could be, is the drums, but they look to good to be at fault, and I don't want to go buying some, only like as the brake shoes they were not the problem. The thing that bugs me is how its both sides of the car, and both with the hand brake as well as the foot brake, surely it must be some thing obvious I've missed here, would the drums be that worn at 65k and that poor

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 2:07 PM

Make sure the brakes are properly adjusted. If they are, check the master cylinder as well as the proportioning valve.

Saturday, September 3rd, 2011 AT 2:44 AM