REPLACED TIMING BELT INTAKE CAM FROZE I THINK I ...

1995 Dodge Stratus

Anonymous

January, 19, 2013 AT 2:01 AM

Replaced timing belt intake cam froze I think I over tighend the bolts its free now but teeth on belt got striped if cam sensor and crank sensor are not in "time"or right position will this keep the coil from giving spark?1995 stratus 2.4l

caradiodoc

January, 19, 2013 AT 2:24 AM

Yup. At one tooth off the Engine Computer will set the fault code "cam and crank sync". At two teeth off it will shut the engine down to protect it. You may get a few intermittent pulses from the coil pack but most of the time the automatic shutdown relay will remain off. At three teeth off the open valves will be hit and bent by the pistons as they coast to a stop. Usually when you can't turn the camshaft it's because a piston is being forced against an open valve. The easiest way to avoid this when doing a maintenance timing belt replacement is to back the crankshaft up about1/8 turn from top dead center to insure no piston is all the way up to interfere with the valves, put the camshaft sprocket at top dead center, then bring the crank to top dead center and install the belt.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz