1995 DODGE RAM BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR?

• ron carter
  • 1995 Dodge Ram
  • automatic

My truck usually runs just fine - no problems. I was driving, stopped, went to restart and nothing. I got a guy to jump me, it started but when I got out to take off the cables it died. It did this several times, the guy left, it died again. I thought what the heck, cranked it and it started right up. Made it home, stopped, started it up again several times, then went out this morning and again nothing. I put a smart charger on it for a couple of hours, charged till it said "full" went to start but all it does is click. On the smart charger it has a place for "alternator check" which I did and it said "fault". The battery is not real new so I'm not sure, is it the battery or alternator in your opinion?

Monday, May 12th, 2014 AT 10:13 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

It could be either one. I would recommend removing both the alt and the battery and have them bench tested at a parts store. That way you will be sure which needs replaced.

Monday, May 12th, 2014 AT 10:39 AM