1995 Dodge Neon Car won't start

TAHANNELOC
  • 1995 DODGE NEON
When I turn the key, nothing happens; the engine doesn't turn over, there isn't even a click. All that happens is the lights on the dash stay on and the radio turns off. I have replaced the starter and the ignition switch. I swapped the relay with an identical one and no difference. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. When I ran a wire directly to the the solenoid, the car turned over. I checked the neutral safety switch by testing for continuity between the third pin and the transmission case and there was nothing. I bypassed this by putting a wire on that pin and hooking it to a spot on the transmission but I still get nothing. What else could be wrong?
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 2:31 PM

TAHANNELOC
I meant the center pin
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 2:32 PM
If you have anti theft on car try resetting it. If no manual look online
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 3:17 PM
TAHANNELOC
I popped open the starter relay and manually pressed the contacts and it started. I'm thinking that the test wire may have came undone. If there are more suggestions I am open to them.
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 7:34 PM
TAHANNELOC
Did I test the neutral safety switch correctly?
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AT 7:37 PM
Neutral switch should be tested for power not continuity as you need to hit the right spot for that or it won't work. Check the fuse first then see If the brn/yellow wire is sending powr to relay also check to see if starter is getting signal form relay. You can switch with a like relay to see if relay is bad. See pic
Thursday, May 1st, 2014 AT 5:19 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
Answered by Caradiodoc:
4/30/2014
If you have the three-pin neutral safety switch, the center pin is for the starter circuit. That's the one to ground to bypass it.

You can split the entire starter circuit into four parts, and each one has a test point at the relay socket. One terminal must have 12 volts all the time. One will have 12 volts only when you turn the ignition switch to "crank". If you're using a test light, move the ground clip to the battery's positive post, then check for ground on the two remaining terminals. One goes to ground through the starter solenoid, and the other through the neutral safety switch. If you're using a digital volt-ohm meter, use it to check for continuity to ground on those last two terminals. Find out which one is missing.
Sunday, May 11th, 2014 AT 10:09 PM