1995 Dodge Dakota spark

TERRYSDODGE
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA

My truck runs for a while then dies. When it does die it has no spark. I have replaced cap, rotor, coil pickup, ignition coil, crankshaft sensor, and coil wire. When I first checked out the truck I noticed that the coil wire was melted on the valve cover. So got a new one. I took a volt meter to the ignition coil plug in and on the orange wire with a green stripe with the key on it has 12 v. But on the grey wire with my buddy cranking over the engine it only flashes for a second. Then nothing. Checked the grey wire out looks fine. Please help stuck with out a vehicle.

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 AT 7:29 PM

DOCFIXIT

Engine? What was used to check voltage on Gray wire at coil?

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 AT 8:24 AM
TERRYSDODGE

I used a light tester. It only flashes for a second. Would a bad ignition switch cause no spark. Sometimes the truck just dies abruptly and sometimes it just wont restart after I turn the truck off and try to restart. But I allways have to wait about 3 hours after it dies

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 AT 10:30 AM
DOCFIXIT

What engine size? DO NOT use a test light will fry computer need DVOM with at least 100K impedence Gray wire is conected to coil driver circuit in PCM. Test or replace Auto shuit down relay. Suspect faulty pcm. Have tried to get codes from PCM?

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 AT 10:57 AM
TERRYSDODGE

Its a 5.2 litter v8 318. If it was a auto shut down relay would I still get gas? Because I still have gas at the tbi after the truck dies. And what is a dvom? Is it a multameter? Is there any way to test the pcm out of the truck? And last question can I just buy a pcm from a wrecking yard and throw it in? Some people have said I have to go to dodge and get it programed to my vin. Dodge told me they would not program a used pcm

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 AT 5:58 PM
DOCFIXIT

ASD stops injectors and coil Truck has injectors not TBI if 1995. Digital volt meter=DVOM Need to drag somewhere to check for codes. Try this disconnect BATT for a bit then try and start if no go swap ASD with fuel pump relay if get spark then replace ASD. Yes PCM would need relearn

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 AT 10:28 AM
TERRYSDODGE

Ok I tried to swap the asd with the fuel pump relay. Still no spark. How can I replace the pcm with a used one. Don't have much money thanks

Sunday, July 7th, 2013 AT 4:12 PM
DOCFIXIT

Get a scanner check for codes

Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 AT 7:16 AM

Other Ignition Coil Wiring Harness Replace/Remove Questions