1995 Dodge Dakota no spark

TERRYSDODGE
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA
I have the 5.2 litter v8. It starts up and runs great then after a little while it dies. Then it wont restart just turns over. I checked it for spark and fuel and it has fuel but no spark. I replaced the cap, rotor, coil pickup, ignition coil
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 3:30 PM

SEANGRANT00
The PCM controls the ignition timing and when the engine is cold the PCM will provide a set amount of advanced timing, then when warm it is decided by the coolant temp, rpm, and manifold pressure. Also the o2 sensor. There maybe some issue with the Auto-shutdown-relay, (ASD) which provides power to the ignition coil.
-1
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 4:02 PM
FREEMBA
Assuming that you checked for a spark at oneof the spark plug wires, you now need to check for a spark at the coil tower. You can do this by disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor and checking for a spark at the end of that wire. If you don't get a spark there it could be a bad coil wire, so check a second time using a different coil wire [if you have or can get one].

If you still don't get a spark: use a voltmeter to probe the GRY/BLK (gray with a black stripe) wire in the ignition coil wiring harness. The meter should read 12v. If not, check for an open in the GRY/BLK wire.
(I am assuming the Auto Shutdown Relay is good since you get fuel when the engine cuts off and the Auto Shutdown Relay also sends power to the ignition coil).

If you got 12v, we have to check to see if the coil is getting a switching signal from the pcm. Use a voltmeter or testlight to probe the BLK/GRY (black with a gray stripe) wire in the ignition coil wiring harness. The BLACK terminal of the voltmeter should be used to probe the connector and the RED terminal connected to the POS of the battery. Crank the engine over as if you're trying to start it, the 12v display should flash on and off the whole time your partner is cranking the engine.
The Test Light flashed On and Off: This is means that the Power Control Module (Fuel Injection Computer) is activating the Ignition Coil and since the Ignition Coil is not Sparking. The Ignition Coil is BAD. Replace the Ignition Coil.

The Test Light DID NOT flash On and Off: The most likely cause of this missing Switching Signal is either an Open Short in the wiring between the PCM and the Ignition Coil's connector or the PCM (Powertrain Control Module = Fuel Injection Computer) is BAD (although this is a rare thing).
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 4:14 PM
TERRYSDODGE
Thanks for the response. I checked the wires that plugs into the bottom of the ignition coil. As it was turning over the test light was not flashing. But I was getting constant power without turning it over. Could a temp sensor or o2 sensor do this? Because it runs fine for a while. It ran perfect for about 1 and half hours today then I put the air cleaner on the truck and it died 5 minutes later. Now no spark again have to wait another 4 hours before restart
+1
Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 5:04 PM
SEANGRANT00
There is a dodge technical bulletin that describes this problem. Try this and see if it helps.

Sean
Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 5:19 PM
FREEMBA
When the engine will not start up, please repeat the following test Using a voltmeter this time.

THIS TEST IS FOR THE FIRST WIRE IN THE IGNITION COIL CONNECTOR:
use a voltmeter to probe the GRY/BLK (gray with a black stripe) wire in the ignition coil wiring harness. The meter should read 12v with the ignition switch ON. If not, check for an open in the GRY/BLK wire.

THIS TEST IS FOR THE SECOND WIRE IN THE IGNITION COIL CONNECTOR: Use a voltmeter to probe the BLK/GRY (black with a gray stripe) wire in the ignition coil wiring harness. The BLACK terminal of the voltmeter should be used to probe the connector and the RED terminal connected to the POS of the battery. Crank the engine over as if you're trying to start it, the 12v display should flash on and off the whole time your partner is cranking the engine.

Post your results please
+1
Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 6:17 PM
TERRYSDODGE
Ok got a voltmeter and there are 2 wires at the ignition coil wiring harness one is green with an orang stripe. This one is allways hot 12 volts if the key is on or not. The other is grey while my partner was turning over the engine I tried to see if the 12v would flash. It would but only for a second then it would quit. If I moved the meter around inside the hole it would start to flash again then stop. Could it be the plug that plugs up to the ignition coil
Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 2:25 PM