1995 Chevrolet Truck Brakes

PATRICKHANES
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK
Vehicle comes in with no brakes at all. Checked front and replaced pads checked for leaks all looked good. Checked rear brakes all looked good. Bled system from rear to front starting with the wheel on the passenger side. Got brakes but spongy. Brake pedal is hard when there is no power assist but when I start the truck then the brakes get spongy. Checked for leaks at the master cyl. To booster to see if maybe the seals in the master cyl were leaking into the booster but all was dry. Wheel cylinders as well as the calipers are all good. There is a possibility that the master cyl. May have been replaced prior to bringing it to my shop. I'm thinking that if the master cyl. Wasn't bled then maybe it could cause the problem but as many times as I bled the system it should have taken care of any air in the system. Any ideas?
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 2:04 PM

Remember, even if there is no leak at the MC, it can still be bad. Have you adjusted the rear brakes?
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 5:33 PM
PATRICKHANES
I've adjusted the rear to the extent that the hub touches the barely touches the shoes. It does have ABS could there be an air pocket in the ABS unit?
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 8:59 PM
PATRICKHANES
I've adjusted the rear to the extent that the hub barely touches the shoes. It does have ABS could there be an air pocket in the ABS unit?
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 9:00 PM
If you bled the system, I would say there is no air in it. Did you check to make sure none of the rubber brake hoses are expanding when you hit the brakes? If you hold pressure on the brake pedal, does it slowly go to the floor?
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 6:24 PM
PATRICKHANES
They don't go all the way to the floor about half way and spongy. I spoke with the previous owner of the vehicle and she said nothing was done to it while she had it and she had it for over 3 years. I'm going to pull the master cyl. Tomorrow and have a look.
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 7:38 PM
Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 8:14 AM
PATRICKHANES
The seals in the rear piston were worn allowing fluid to pass into the front chamber but not leaking into the booster.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 9:37 PM
I had a feeling the MC was the problem. They can be a pain to diagnose. Like I mentioned earlier, they can be bad and still not leak. I'm glad you got it working properly.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 6:29 PM