1995 Chevrolet Suburban Hazard lights

JOEMAR2891
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a 1995 K1500 chevrolet suburban. The hazard light button on top of the steering wheel column has broken off and therefore the hazard lights are stuck on. I found which fuse is connected to them and have pulled it, but unfortunately this fuse also controls the turn signals as well as the brake lights.

I'm wondering if there is an easy fix to be able to just disengage the hazard lights without having to take the car to an auto repair shop and having them completely disengage the steering column.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 7:14 PM

CADIEMAN
Remove the hazard flasher thats in the fuse panel.
-1
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 12:20 AM
JOEMAR2891
So removing this fuse will only disconnect the hazard lights? I read online and it said the fuse would also disconnect the brake lights
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 2:40 PM
CADIEMAN
Don't remove the fuse. Remove the flasher that will stop the hazards lights and all the other things will work properly. Just follow the clicking noise to the flasher and remove it.
+2
Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 4:42 PM
JOEMAR2891
Could you be a little more specific about the clicking noise and how to remove the remaining piece of the flasher so that the brake lights and turn signals will work properly?

My worry is that if I remove the remaining piece of hazard flasher, it will exacerbate the problem and will not resume the "default" position of the hazard flasher as "off" with fully functional turn signals and brake lights.

Any kind of schematic about how the hazard flasher is designed would be extremely helpful.
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 6:15 PM
CADIEMAN
I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for you. Do you hear the clicking noise when the flasher is bllinking?Go to the inside fuse panel. There should be a round flasher there just remove it. If it's not there follow the clicking noise to the flasher and unplug it. This is as easy as I can make it!
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 7:27 PM
JOEMAR2891
I was Able to find the flasher underneath the drivers side dash. However, upon removing it I found that the brake lights and turn signals(with the exception of the center mounted light stopped working). There are a lot of wires coming out of this inside fuse panel. Is there any way one of these would disable just the flasher?
Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 6:55 PM
CADIEMAN
Then this problem is in the turn signal switch you will need to replace it.
Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 1:19 AM
JOEMAR2891
You were right, removing the flasher underneath the drivers side dash does still allow the brake lights to work. However, the switch in the steering column has to be in the correct position to permit this to occur, and since my switch has broken, the only way for me to accomplish this is by wedging something in between to keep the switch in that position.

Do you know if there is a wire that goes directly to the switch behind the steering wheel, that I can gain easy access to that will allow me to disengage this switch?

Ultimately I do realize that the steering column needs to be disassembled and the turn signal assembly replaced, I'm just looking for a temporary fix thats better than the "wedging" I've been doing, so that I can get the car back to my mechanic without getting pulled over for not having proper signaling.
Saturday, June 29th, 2013 AT 2:25 PM
CADIEMAN
I am sorry there is really nothing you can do except replace the turn signal switch.
Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 9:51 PM