What could cause my 1995 2500 Pickup to stall when slowwing down?

PGKEY1
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My 1995 chevy 2500 pickup runs fine for several weeks but then starts stalling when slowing down. It will keep doing it for days and then runs like a charm for a few weeks.
When it is acting up, I have discovered that, if I hold the gas pedal down, when cranking it, it will cough an finally start up. But, I have to keep the RPMs up, or it will die again. I have also noticed a faint smell of gasoline. Like it may be flooding/choking itself out. But, recentl I notcie the fuel smell near the Evap canister.
On advice from others I have replaced the distibutor module, the Distr. Cap, plug wires and plugs, and the fuel pressure regulator. Only to find a few weeks later the problem returns.

Sunday, October 16th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked fuel pump pressure, for vacuum leaks, throttle position sensor, Idle air control valve?
Sunday, October 16th, 2011 AT 4:19 AM
PGKEY1
The check engine light has not come on. But it is an OBD1 system, it is pre-OBDII, so I am not sure what data it might have.

I thought about the Fuel pump, since it is very old. But, it seemed more like a choking problem, because of the retarting improvement when holding the throttle wide open. But, is there an easy way to check the fuel pump preasure, without special tools. And, since the problem comes and goes, can I be sure the test works, if the fuel pump may be fading in and out? After it sits for a while it seems to run again for a while before the problem resurfaces. So, engine temp may also be playing some role, too. Before I figured out I coulsd hold teh throttle wide open and get it to restart, I had to let it cool down for a while before it would start. And then head for home as fast as I could.

I have not found any vacume leaks, as yet. But, I have not check the throttle position sensor or Idle control valve.
Sunday, October 16th, 2011 AT 4:34 PM
You do need a fuel pressure gauge. Most parts stores will lend them to you. As far as OBD1, it will also tell you where the problem is coming from too.
Sunday, October 16th, 2011 AT 5:46 PM