95 Chevy S-10 Differential Flange

JOHNFLOB
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10
1995 Chevy S10 LS.
2.2 L MFI
Extended Cab
Short bed
5 Speed RWD

I recently replaced the rear universal joint. The first u-joint was the wrong size resulting in the drive shaft coming loose while the truck was being driven. Of course it banged around and eventually fell out.

I installed another u-joint after ensuring it was the correct size. Two days later there was loud intermittent, but frequent, clanking while the trick was being driven. When I inspected the truck the u-joint was still intact with no free play. Then I noticed that, for lack of the technical term, that what seemed to be a heavy damper ring was so loose I could easily move it. There was also a large thick, 1/2inch thick, rubber ring.

I was able to easily remove the yoke/flange from the differential along with the "damper" and rubber ring. Once these were removed I could not devise a method to re-assemble yoke, rubber ring and "damper".

I have reinstalled the yoke/flange and drive shaft but not the damper and rubber ring. Is the damper really necessary? Is there an easy way to re-assemble the yoke, rubber ring, and damper?

Thank You
John Lobenstein
Friday, April 1st, 2011 AT 1:21 AM

You gonna have to replace the drive/prop shaft
-1
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 2:29 AM