1995 Buick Lesabre Cruise control stopped working

STONEHAMMER
  • 1995 BUICK LESABRE
Cruise control stopped working last few days. Have no idea why
Monday, April 13th, 2015 AT 7:39 PM

What's the question? How to diagnose it? How to get it diagnosed? Do you have any other symptoms, test results, or clues to analyze? Does the horn work? Is the Air Bag warning light on?
Monday, April 13th, 2015 AT 7:44 PM
STONEHAMMER
The horn does work and no airbag light on, After I left the message I drove the car again and noticed that the rpm would hold on cruiser control but would slow down on hills and not recover the set speed.
My first question would be is this common.
Next question is how I diagnose or check to find problem.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 AT 1:01 AM
The most common cause of a dead cruise control is a broken clock spring, but that eventually affects the horn and air bag too. That's a wound-up ribbon cable in a plastic housing under the steering wheel.

From your description I would start by looking for leaks in the vacuum hose going to the servo, then check the other vacuum hoses for leaks. A vacuum leak typically causes an inability to maintain speed but there is some indication the system is trying to work. After that, for a totally dead system, you need a scanner to see if the switches are being recognized when they're pressed, and if the solenoids in the servo are being activated. You'd also have to check for a broken throttle cable from the servo.
+2
Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 AT 11:08 AM