95 BUICK TRANSMISSION PROBLUM

• Tmfauto
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY
  • 100 MILES

95 buick century transmission only has 1st gear and makes a rattle noise when in park. Reverse does not work at all. I can drive in 1st gear and once it shifts into 2nd, its like shifting into N. I will have to wait untill car slows down till about 12-15 mph untill I get 1st gear and can drive again.

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

• Saturntech9

Sounds Like your transmission has failed and from what you have described failed in a big way. If you were to fix it your best bet would probably be to just try to find a good used transmission. What color is your transmission fluid?

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 5:57 PM
  • Tmfauto

Its red and doesent smell burnt.

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 6:02 PM
  • Saturntech9

Rattle noise in park scares me only having first gear I would think that something came thru the transmission to disable the other gears. Do you have any codes?

-1
Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 6:11 PM
  • Tmfauto

Well I tried the paper clip into the connector and after looking into it I found out that trick does not work and I have no obd 1 scanner.

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 6:23 PM
  • Saturntech9

So does your car have a 12 pin or 16 pin diagnostic connector?

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
  • Tmfauto

12 pin

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 6:37 PM
  • Saturntech9

Then it should work by jumping pins A and B together and counting the flashing check engine light. Let me know what you find I posted a diagram of the diagnostic connector.

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
  • Tmfauto

Ya thats what I was thinking but after doing some researh with this year make and model I found that there was no wire going to term B and so the paper clip trick will not work on these cars. The check light is not on so im not even sure there are any codes. I just went out there and tryed to put it in reverse and you can hear the rpm go down a little like it wants to go but just wont. The noise it makes is rotating sound like its the torque converter or something.

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 11:13 PM
  • Tmfauto

I can put it in 123 and D and the car will drive but only with first gear. You can put it in 2nd and its still in 1st put it in 3rd and still in 1st. IDK!

Monday, April 11th, 2011 AT 11:15 PM
  • Saturntech9

Looks like your going to have to take it in to have it looked at then you can hear your options if it needs a used transmission or there is pressure issue or a code that leads to the problem. Keep me posted on what they find.

Tuesday, April 12th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM