1994 Toyota Pickup Truck what temp thermostat to use

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1994 TOYOTA PICKUP
1994 Toyota Pickup Truck mileage 135,000 The truck has a. Standard shift truck and I have a problem. A while back, I had to have my thermostat changed. After the mechanic changed it my temperature gauge would not go up very high. It bugged me. I thought the mechanic may have put a defective or wrong thermostat in, when he installed it. I first went up to buy a new thermostat before I went to fix or look at the problem. When I pulled the thermostat out of the truck, I compared it to the one that I just purchased. The one the mechanic installed was a higher degree temperature than the one I bought which was from my local Toyota dealership. I was so happy, that I figured the problem out, so I changed it. It worked fine for about a month and then, the needle on the gauge gradually stopped going up to where it's supposed to go. I repeated this last scenario of buying the thermostat and replacing it 3 more times and the same thing always happens. Could it be something else? I am at a dead-end and it is cold here in the Northeast in the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 7:33 PM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
The chances of three separate thermostats being faulty are extremely remote. We suggest verifying the in-dash temperature gauge using a temporary thermometer in the radiator. It is possible that in-between thermostat changes, your truck lost a small amount of coolant, either externally or internally from the engine which would cause the temperature gauge to fluctuates.
Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 7:44 PM