Celica Doesn't Start

MAKENSHI082083
  • 1994 TOYOTA CELICA
My Celica will not start. I have a new battery and it doesn't make ANY sounds when I try to start it, no clicks rom the starter or anything. I took it to Pep Boys and they made me buy a battery, then they said my neutral safety switch was bad, a $300 part. I don't think it was broken because I read if the switch was the problem, that you could bypass it by putting the car in neutral and then turning the key. For a couple months before this problem the car had times when this same thing would happen, but I would wait sometimes 5 to 20 minutes and it would start, really random. Also, all my electrical equipment and lights work. I'd appreciate any help with opinions on what may be giving me this problem.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 12:44 AM

--**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 1:07 AM
BOUNTYBOB
I had the same problem with my 94 Celica GT. Approximately, at 245,000 miles. Right after I purchased the car (used) I noticed I would just move it to park it on the street or in another parking lot during the day. It was literally about 100 feet away. So I would start my car, no problem. Park it. Shut it off and go back into the house. Then if I came right back out to go somewhere, it wouldn't start. I would have to wait anywhere from 10-30 minutes.

Another example would be driving it to work I would stop to put gas in it. After pumping the gas, the car wouldn't start. After about 10-30 minutes it would start again.

This last time it happened I was fed up and called for a jump. The battery was good. No draw. So then I called for a tow to the repair shop. 50 minutes later the tow truck showed up and the car. Started with no problem.

The neutral lock is what I had replaced before. It cost almost $700. But it resolved the issue. Now it's doing it again, though and it's only been about 1 year since the last replacement.

In the previous I think it's the "neutral switch/transmission position switch" they referenced.
Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 AT 10:14 AM