WHAT'S WRONG WHEN I PUT IN A NEW BATTERY AND MY CAR STILL WON'T START?

1994 Toyota Camry

ShamekaToyota

August, 12, 2012 AT 10:28 AM

Yesterday I left my lights on all night and this morning my car was dead. I asked a guy passing by who is a neighbor to help me jump start my car. When he connected the jumper cables and told me to try starting the car, the battery started smoking badly. I even asked him if the cables were hooked up right because that didn't seem normal. Long story short I think he really damaged my car. I ended up buying and putting in a brand new battery and the car still won't start and is completely dead! I have a 94 Toyota Camry. What can I do next? Does this mean my electrical system has been blown?

August, 12, 2012 AT 11:16 AM

Check the main fusible links. Reversing the polarity can cause the fuses to blow. Main one would be the ALT 120 or 100 A.

djcl

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:08 PM

Yes check that fuse link and all the fuses in the car. Sometimes crossing pos and neg @ the battery can take out lots of fuses and computers

ShamekaToyota

August, 14, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

Thank you! I'm not sure what an Atl 20 or 100 a is but I think I've located the fuse box. It's right next to the battery and there are a lot of different colored plug ins. How can I tell which ones are bad? Is there a way I can change them myself? I won't have money for a mechanic for a while.

djcl

August, 14, 2012 AT 10:33 PM

You will need a test light or volt meeter to test both sides of the fuse. Key on there should be voltage on both side sof the main fuses

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe