MY FUEL PUMP IS PUMPING GAS SO IS IT WORKING

1994 Pontiac Grand Prix

dudue45

November, 1, 2011 AT 7:39 PM

1994 pontiac grand prix. Not sure if I have a vats problem or a clog in my fuel pump strainer when I turn key security light comes on for 5 seconds then goes out. No blinking. The car starts and runs for a few seconds then dies. The fuel pump is working. I have pulled the fuel line at the fuel filter and turned the key to on position no gas when I turn key to start gas pumps when I release the key fuel pump stops working.

hmac300

November, 1, 2011 AT 10:30 PM

Thats' becaue the pump only works on initial key up and the oilpressure sender takes over after a start. But jump the relay and see if it pumps ok bu tleave everything connected. You will need 41-47 psi from teh fuel rail to run.

dudue45

November, 9, 2011 AT 9:02 PM

Not sure are you telling me to bypass the fuel pump relay or bypass the oil pressure sensor? I did bypass the VAT system and still the same thing the car will start and then idle for about 5 seconds then shut off. The fuel pump is wroking hard in the tank but pumping gas. Thanks for the help

hmac300

November, 9, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

Best thing to do is check the fuel pressure first on start up then after car runs. When the key goes on the relay sends power to the pump and it shodl give you pressure. After the car starts power is sent through the oil pressue sending unit to the pump. If it shuts off after starting then your oil pressure switch may be bad, check that.

dudue45

November, 9, 2011 AT 10:03 PM

Ok is that something I should just replace in order to "check" it? Or can I jump a wire across the two terminals?

hmac300

November, 9, 2011 AT 11:19 PM

You can jump it but make sur eyo have theright wires.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe