OUR "BEATER" CAR STALLED. NOW IT WILL START, RUN FOR 1 MINUTE THEN STALL.

1994 Plymouth Acclaim

Johgan@tds.net

January, 13, 2012 AT 3:28 AM

The car stalled on my husband's way to work. He had it towed to parking lot. We are trying to decide which way to go with repair. It has been a great little car for saving miles on our more expensive cars. It has a new transmission, new camshaft. Was running great but stalled the other morning. Now, it will run for 1 minute and then stall. We replaced the distributor and rotor. We can hear the fuel pump when we turn the ignition key. We disconnected the fuel line by the carb and put a rag by the line and we are getting gas when we turn the key. We haven't checked fuel pressure yet because we are still in a parking lot trying to decide whether to go to a mechanic or try ourselves. We have about 160,000 and it has been running great. We don't really want to put a lot of money into this for fear of having it go out permanently. When it runs for that 1 minute - everything sounds normal, but then it just dies. I have been "troubleshooting" on-line and in library books, but there are so many possibilities. Fuel pump pressure, fuel filter (probable no), fuel pressure regulator, crank and cam sensors, fuel pump relay, voltage at injectors, injector fuse and relay, TPS switch, and auto shutdown relay? I am a housewife and not really a mechanic, but would really rather spend the money on some new shoes. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

January, 13, 2012 AT 3:34 AM

Start by verifying that the fuel pressure is within specs