VEHICLE WE PURCHASED

1994 Oldsmobile Ciera

art apodaca

May, 29, 2011 AT 3:02 PM

We purchased a 1994 olds. & While driving it home it stalled--we restarted it & when put into gear it stalled again--had to push it off roadway & after sitting a while took off in it & it was fine. Have you any ides what was the cause of this & will it happen again?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

May, 29, 2011 AT 4:00 PM

I'd do a tune-up on it. Check for applicable mil codes. Use a gage and check fuel pressure.

You could have an intermittent rpm signal, comes from crank sensor. When the problem occurs, if it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs. To check for spark, you can use a known good spark plug or spark tester, don't pull plug from engine. You can carry a spark tester, it won't get hot. If the spark plug wire, where applicable, is hot, use a glove to pull wire loose from spark plug. Stick spark tester in plug boot, ground metal part of tester to metal part of engine, watch for spark, engine cranking.

art apodaca

May, 29, 2011 AT 4:19 PM

Thanks for reply----it will start after it stalls, but when engaged in gear it stalls again.

May, 29, 2011 AT 4:29 PM

Some of the name brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one. Also, check for applicable mil codes, you can check those yourself. Use a jumper wire between the A & B terminals at the datalink connector. Then, you turn key just till the dash lites come on, no further. The check engine lite starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. Let us know what you find.

art apodaca

May, 29, 2011 AT 4:39 PM

Like I stated the car is back at the dealership right now & they are supposingly suppose to fix it by Tues.A.M.--How I don't know being it is a long holiday weekend. So I doubt if they are even going to look at it--they did say the scoped it all out before putting it on the lot--but we don't think so.

May, 31, 2011 AT 4:10 PM

Let us know what they find. I understand about the holidays, my home ac unit stopped on Saturday. I figured no way I could get ahold of anybody till Tuesday. I got lucky.

They have to test when the problem is ongoing. If they tested it when everything was running fine, they probably wouldn't find anything.