How do you remove and replace the starter on this car

MR E
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA
I have a great deal of experience and my dad retired as a diesel engine mechanic. I've replaced brakes, mufflers, shocks, starters, heater cores, radiators, alternators, water pumps, etc. Etc. On both domestic and imports.

However even getting to the mounting bolts for this nissan starter seems to be a physical trial at best. I am SURE I was engineered so the home mechanic would NOT be able to do the job! I even have the typical Haynes and chiltons manuals, What they say and the diagrams are very misleading. The main challenge is to get to the mounting bolts! Any help you give is greatly appreciated!
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM

ASEMASTER6371
1998-99

Disconnect battery ground cable.
Disconnect starter wiring from starter.
Remove starter retaining bolts and the starter.
Reverse procedure to install

I believe the bolts are under the hood, below the air filter assembly. There are 2 14 mm bolts.

+1
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 3:11 PM
MR E
Mr. E SCREAMS! Yes everyone says that much! Sounds real simple. However the bolts are nearly impossible to get to. That is the challenge! Have you ever done this on this car? How do you get to the bolts! I've done much car repair work. This is the worse design I have seen in over 30 years! PLEASE ANYONE who answers this one please answer from personal experience ONLY! Not from any of the manuals, I read them all and it's all crappola!
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 3:47 AM
ASEMASTER6371
I have done dozens and only speak from expierence. You have to remove the airfilter assembly and yes, you can do it with patience. It sounds like that is something you dont have much of.

Take a breathe and take your time. A human put it in and the same will take it out.

+1
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 4:03 AM
MR E
As I said my Father retired as a mechanic and at age 55 I have done much work on import and domestic autos myself, in the freezing ten degree below zero weather, outdoors, in Ohio. In situations where it was literally fix the car or die!

I have more patience than a Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon! Heh heh heh!

Anyway, I already removed the air filter assembly before I came to this website to ask the question. (However, I need help and you should be fair on this point, this step in removing the air filter stuff is not mentioned in any manuals and I am not being critical just pointing out that in your original post you did not mention this step either. Correct? I'm just asking.)

Now the main issue is being able to reach these two bolts holding the starter in, because you can hardly see either of them and doing it strictly by feel (which I have done so on many other jobs) just is not working in this case.)

Also the 1994 Altima setup seems different from other model years, at least from the pics I've seen in some manuals. Perhaps I am wrong on that point.

BUT it does not matter since you have done DOZENS of 1994 Altima starter-endectomies exactly how do you get to these bolts. And while we are at it is this really a one person job? Because getting the new one in while trying to thread some bolts blindly would seem to be interesting to say the least.

Yes a HUMAN put it in, however the engine may have not been in the car when the started was attached to it! So.I was wondering does one have to remove the entire hood and climb on top of the engine in order to get at the starter bolts for the 1994 Altima? Please explain exactly all the steps and any tricks you used in your dozen times of doing a 1994 Altima started removal and replacement job. I do REALLY do greatly appreciate your help, and I follow instructions well! I have been patiently working at this on and off over a month and using my spare car in the meantime.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
MHPAUTOS
Just to add my 2 bob's worth. When faced with tight access like this, often using 3/8" drive is easier as 1/2" drive is so bulky, and a trick I often use is to use a universal joint taped with electrical tape, this helps hold the joint from flopping at that critical moment, but still allows it to flex, and I also magnetize the socket to help hold bolts and nuts.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 11:45 PM
MR E
Thanks mhpautos!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions I can get. As I said I have replace many parts in the past 40 years working on cars and trucks. This one really is quite the challenge.

Have you actually replace this EXACT starter in this model car? HAS ANYONE OUT THERE this EXACT starter in this model car?

I'm still waiting on confirmation from ASEMaster6371 since he said he has done dozens I am hoping this 1994 Nissan Altima GXE is one of those dozens and that he will provide more exacting details on how it is exactly done, leaving out no steps.

One thing for certain, anyone who had to do this would NOT forget the sense of TRIUMPH and ACCOMPLISHMENT over this daunting feat! I'm convinced Nissan had the started attached to the engine before putting the engine in the car and engineered this to be difficult purposely. Having said all of that.

It appears that additional "plumbing" may need to be removed and not just all the air cleaner stuff (which I already removed as well as some parts under the car). Removing the hood to gain better access does not really seem like it with help, though I do not mind doing so.

So how about it? HAS ANYONE OUT THERE on this forum replaced this EXACT starter in this EXACT model car?
Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 4:21 PM
SHELDONLAWRENCE
Mr.E
Hey so I own a 1996 Nissan Altima and I just bought it about 6 months ago for real cheap so I knew that it would have a few issues. It was leaking oil because the valve cover gasket was blown and antifreeze because there were cracks in the top plastic part of the radiator right underneath the radiator cap on the inside.I fixed those issues. But oil had gotten to my spark plugs because of the gasket leak so I got the oil out and replaced the plugs. Right before I got the new plugs it started just randomly dieing on me. I could not figure out what was going on I ended up replacing the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Then finally it would start but anytime I put it in gear it died which ended up being the distributor button on the inside so I replaced that and the cap. It ran beautiful for a couple months and now I'm having an issue starting it again. Banged on the starter and it started.I replaced the starter and OMYGOD u are so right I feel your pain. I did it by myself and its ridiculous it was almost literally impossible to do without any help but I got it replaced. Now I'm getting lights but no crank no start nothing.I have no clue what to do now. Any ideas?
Saturday, February 4th, 2017 AT 2:55 PM
KEN
Hey SHELDON,

It sounds like you have the wires installed wrong on the starter, can you please recheck them and get back to us?

Best, Ken
Wednesday, February 8th, 2017 AT 3:18 AM