MITSUBIS EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

1994 Mitsubishi Expo

2CarPros-Archives

November, 10, 2010 AT 8:25 PM

1994 Mitsubishi Expo mileage: 112,000. For over four years I have had a problem with excessive oil consumption. The dealerships I took it to, both Colorado and Oregon either had no suggestion on how to solve the problem or did unnecessary work (valve cover gasket and engine seal replacement), which did nothing to solve the problem. Just recently I took the car to an independent garage. They found that the engine compression was normal and that a drip down test proved inconclusive. However, they suggested that the oil rings might be at fault. So I had them replace the oil rings and do a ring job together with all the head and valve work that such a job requires. The result is that my oil consumption has gone from one quart for every one hundred and fifty miles to one quart for every four hundred and fifty miles. This is an improvement. However, it still seems excessive to me. Is there anything you can suggest? Thank you.

2CarPros-Archives

November, 10, 2010 AT 8:29 PM

Check the auxiliary valves in the cylinder head (the third valve). The seals on the housing may be leaking allowing oil into the cylinder.

Oil Life Reset Light Honda Civic 2006-2011
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes