1994 MITSUBISHI EXPO EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1994 Mitsubishi Expo
  • automatic

1994 Mitsubishi Expo mileage: 112,000. For over four years I have had a problem with excessive oil consumption. The dealerships I took it to, both Colorado and Oregon either had no suggestion on how to solve the problem or did unnecessary work (valve cover gasket and engine seal replacement), which did nothing to solve the problem. Just recently I took the car to an independent garage. They found that the engine compression was normal and that a drip down test proved inconclusive. However, they suggested that the oil rings might be at fault. So I had them replace the oil rings and do a ring job together with all the head and valve work that such a job requires. The result is that my oil consumption has gone from one quart for every one hundred and fifty miles to one quart for every four hundred and fifty miles. This is an improvement. However, it still seems excessive to me. Is there anything you can suggest? Thank you.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 8:25 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

Check the auxiliary valves in the cylinder head (the third valve). The seals on the housing may be leaking allowing oil into the cylinder.

Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM