1994 Mercury Cougar car wont start

GARNEAUX
  • 1994 MERCURY COUGAR
Well I have a 1994 mercury cougar xr7 v8 and I changed the fuel filter cuz I went out and try to start it but it just kept turning over like it was outta gas but have a half of tank. So we changed the filter seem to run better but then it started that again it tries to start but it just keeps turning over like it is outta gas.
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 2:56 PM

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Disconnect the fuel filter at the output side. Basically youll be checking to see if fuel comes out when you turnthe key on. If not then take the filter off and try it again if you've still got no fuel you need a fuel pump. If you do get fuel check the fuel tank for trash clogging up the filters.
+1
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 3:03 PM
GARNEAUX
Ok thank you and how can I tell if its my fuel pump cause after I change the fuel filter it seemed to start up and run ok so I thought I fixed my problem but it started having the same problem before I changed to the fuel filter. It turns over but it turns over like it is out of gas but it ain't.
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 3:10 PM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
If fuel comes out with the filter off and gas in the tank then the pump works. Do that first and we'll go from there
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 3:38 PM
GARNEAUX
If we have to change the fuel pump then how we would take the tank off cause underneath it looks like there is a cover on the tank but didn't see the straps or bolts to take off the tank but I can post as pic if need too
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 6:57 PM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
There are two straps that hold the tank up there. Drain all the gas out first. Once its lowered down on a jack a little strap it to the jack and disconnect all the fuel lines and wires. Once its out knock off the retainer ring that holds the pump in and remove the pump. Please be very carefu! This is not a job to be taken lightly. Raising a vehicle and working under it on the ground is so dangerous, but then so is getting up nowadays. Lol. Just make sure youre on concrete, not dirt. Good luck
Sunday, February 2nd, 2014 AT 7:34 AM