1994 Honda Accord

AZURIE
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
  • 190 MILES
My 1994 Honda Accord will not start, it's not the battery because the inside lights come on, the clock and the noise the car makes when a doors open or something. The same thing happened yesterday and when the car was given a 20 minute jump it started again and ran fine all day. I thought it was find until it did it again today, and ideas?
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:06 PM

SATURNTECH9
The first thing I would have checked is your battery theydo it for free at the auto parts store. Also make sure your battery cables are clean and tight. So does it happen more often when the engine is hot?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:10 PM
Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:11 PM
AZURIE
I don't think it can be the battery if the inside lights are still functioning. The weather has been over 100 and the car hasn't been in that yet, and I don't really have that because i've never really had car problems.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:12 PM
AZURIE
It won't even crank though. I turn the key and there's absolute silence.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:16 PM
SATURNTECH9
If you dont want to check the battery thats up too you but I wish you would that way if you test power at the starter with the key in the start position you won't be replacing the starter for no reason. Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight I have seen loose corroded cables cause dash lights to light up your dash lights and not start the car. If you don't have a multimeter or atleast a test light you need to get one and I can tell you how to trace power to figure this out. But before al that have your battery tested and make sure your battery cables are clean and tight.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:18 PM
AZURIE
Ok, thank you so much
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:19 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome keep me posted.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 6:22 PM
AZURIE
I went to go get the battery and altinater checked out, it turned out that the positive wire wasn't properly connected to the battery.
Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear you got it figured out thats why I told you to have the battery tested and make sure the battery cables were clean and tight.
Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 11:44 PM