GMC 4X4 brakes

RETT/LANE
  • 1994 GMC SIERRA
We had the drums replaced and all new brakes put on a 1994 GMC Sierra 4x4 p/u. Then a brakes line broke. We replace ALL the brake lines and new calipers. Now, we cannot get the brakes to bleed. The pedal goes to the floor. Someone told us that there might be a release valve. Does it take a special tool to bleed them? The truck stops but not like it did or should. Any suggestions?
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 1:31 AM

When you bleed the brakes, are you starting from the furthest wheel and working to the closest? Next, by any chance did you depress the caliper pistons forcing the old brake fluid back to the master cylender? Finally, have you checked the rubber brake lines to the caliper to make sure they are no expanding when you depress the brake pedal?

Let me know.

Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 3:20 AM
DR LOOT
Obviously you have air in the lines, when you do that kind of extensive work on the braking system, you have lots of air, the easiest way to bleed the brakes is, have one person inside and one person outside, opened up the bleeder and have the person slowly push the pedal to the floor, before he gets to the floor you tighten up the bleeder, let the person bringing the pedal up slowly and when he is up you open the bleeder again and repeat the process until all the air or cleaning fluid appears.
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 3:25 AM
RETT/LANE
I know that I have air in the lines, but bleeding them isnt helping. It's actually making the problem worse. We bled them from the furthest to the closest and repeated and repeated. We depressed the calipers. We have done brakes on other vehicles with no problems. Just wondering if there is something special on this make/model that I'm missing.
Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 AT 3:49 AM