1994 GMC occasionally backfires but keeps going

THEFLOYDS2006
  • 1994 GMC C1500
Going down the road the truck will occasionally backfire quietly and kind of sputter and then keep going. Might happen once or twice a week. Kind of acts like it is starved for fuel after the backfire.
Monday, May 4th, 2015 AT 10:45 AM

AS FAR AS SENSORS AND SUCH, THEY MIGHT CAUSE THE PROBLEM

SEE-UNS HOW IT'S SO INTERMITTENT, GOING LONG PERIODS WITHOUT A PROBLEM (MAYBE THE MODERN CRAP IS NOT IN THE EQUATION?), TRY WHAT I HAD TO TRY ON A COUPLE OF MY JEEPS, WITH THE SAME KINDA ISSUE.

MINE WOULD GLITCH IN THE SAME MANNER, WITH AN OCCASIONAL BACK FIRE

IT WORRIED ME SO MUCH, I JUST KNEW I WOULD BE AFOOT, IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME AND WHERE WOULD IT HAPPEN, NEAR THE HOUSE OR ON A ROAD TRIP?

BEINGS THAT MY CJ-5s ARE PRETTY SIMPLE ANIMALS, NO SENSORS, OR A COMPUTER

IT BASICALLY COULD ONLY BE FUEL (CARBURETOR) OR SOMETHING IGNITION (ANYTHING IGNITION)

I PRETTY MUCH RULED OUT FUEL, AS IT DIDN'T SPUTTER WHEN THE ISSUE HAPPENED, IT WAS AS IF I SHUT OFF THE IGNITION SWITCH FOR A SECOND THEN CUT IT BACK ON

I HAD MY IGNITION MODULE TESTED ('MEMBER THIS IS TWO SEPARATE OCCASIONS W/ TWO DIFFERENT CJ-5s) THE IGNITION MODULE, BACK THEN, WAS PROBABLY THE MOST MODERN AND COMPLICATED PART OF A '77 OR '79 CJ-5. THEY TESTED JUST FINE

ALL OTHER IGNITION COMPONENTS LOOKED DANDY

1st EVENT) I HAD THE JEEP RUNNING, AND STARTED SHAKING/ PULLING/ FLOPPING THE WIRING AROUND. METHODICALLY AND GENTLY, AS IF I WERE BOUNCING DOWN THE ROAD OR MAKING TURNS TRYING TO DUPLICATE WHAT MY WIRES OR HARNESSES MIGHT EXPERIENCE

IT CUT OFF FOR A SECOND/ PLAYED SOME MORE/ CUTOFF ANOTHER SECOND

PRESTO! PROBLEM ONE W/ JEEP NUMBER ONE SOLVED

THE WIRES INTO MY DISTRIBUTOR MOVED MORE THAN THEY SHOULD, BROKEN WIRE WAS THE PROBLEM

HENCE A NEW DISTRIBUTOR AND BETTER WIRE AND HARNESS ANCHORING TECHNIQUES.

EVENT 2 ) A FEW YEARS LATER, SAME SCENARIO, SAME ACTIONS

THIS TIME I FOUND THE BOTTOM SIDE OF A WIRE LOOM HAD SCRUBBED AND SCRUBBED ON A FENDER, UNTIL IT WORE THRU AND SCRUBBED THE THE INSULATION OFF OF A WIRE (GOTTA 'MEMBER THESE JEEPS WERE ONLY ABOUT 25 YEARS OLD AT THE TIME!)

THIS ISSUE WAS SO HARD TO FIND, AS I NEVER THOUGHT TO LOOK AT THE BOTTOMS OF THE LOOMS, AND THE SKINNED PLACE HAD TO TOUCH "JUST RIGHT" TO MAKE IT SHORT

THE PARTICULAR ISSUE TOOK ME SEVERAL DAYS OFF AND ON TO FIND IT

WELL, FOUR MORE CJ-5s AND A '46 WILLYS LATER, I'M PRETTY PROFICIENT IN DIAGNOSING AND REPAIRING THEIR PROBLEMS IN A TIMELY MANNER, I'M ALMOST A DR. DOOLITTLE IN "SENSING" A JEEP PROBLEM BEFORE IT OCCURS!

LEMME KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 AT 8:58 PM