4WD issues

BUCKEYE281
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
I recently purchased this truck assuming the 4WD worked. After a couple times engaging the 4WD, the transfer case motor failed. I replaced it, and according to the dash light the transfer case engaged. Unfortunately the front wheels were not pulling. Last night I was spinning the front drive shaft trying to diagnose the problem, the driveshaft would spin freely while not engaged, as I assume it should. It appears the differential is OK, but I am not sure. The drivers side drive axel spins with the drive shaft, but not the passengers side. Is this normal, or is this side possibly froze up? If it is normal, I assume the hubs are shot. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 6:56 PM

If one of the front axles does not lock to the wheel--Even in 4X4, all power to the front is transferred to the least resistance. Thus freewheeling the "loose" axle fruitlessly inside the unlocked wheel (unless your front diff. Is positive traction--you will then be in 3 wheel drive!) Remove and clean the hubs, you might get over, on Ole Murphy! The Medic
Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 3:40 AM