4

1994 Ford Ranger

AznCraig

4.0L V6 4x4 Manual | The truck, when I'm accelerating, will lose power at mid-throttle, and does not pick up unless I floor it (then it's at full throttle, so very much an "on/off" switch). Sometimes it restores it to normal functionality, cruising at speed with my foot approx. Halfway down (until I shift again), but sometimes the power loss remains evident. It occasionally "bucks" when trying to accelerate as well. I tried unplugging the MAF and it resulted in no change, although it did stall with the MAF unplugged a couple times during my trip around the block. I know the clutch is a little worn and does need to be replaced, but it can't be the cause of the issue in my opinion. The mechanic I talked to thinks otherwise, but the fact remains that the truck operates perfectly fine at times. It seems like it has less issues when it is cold. Any help? I am way confused!

P.S. Likely unrelated, but it also tends to shift hard into first when warmer.

dlmitchell

January, 30, 2013 AT 8:21 AM

Check the TPS (throttle position sensor) It's an easy install and the sensor only runs about $25.
I had the same problem. Racing idle, not going into gear. Replaced it and all the problems stopped, it even increased my milage.

AznCraig

February, 1, 2013 AT 6:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. I replaced the fuel filter and it seems to have fixed it. However, with a truck that's almost 20 years old, I stand to benefit by inspecting and/or replacing a lot of small things. The TPS is a great recommendation. Should have thought about that before!

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250