WILL NOT START AFTER ENGINE COOLS OFF

1994 Ford Explorer

mccck5

December, 22, 2011 AT 6:20 PM

I am having a problem starting my vehicle after it has set for a time. The things I have done fuel pressure with Key on Engine off 35psi key on engine running 30psi. I have check for fuel available after it sits and fuel is present at the rail on the injectors. Switched reelays around to see if any difference and there is not. I have checked and ignition fire is present.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 22, 2011 AT 6:24 PM

If you have spark and fuel, it should run. There are two things I need you to check. First, switch the EEC relay (under hood) with a different relay with the same part number to see if that helps. Next, when it doesn't start, check to make sure the injectors are getting power to transfer the fuel from the fuel rail to the engine. See if it will start with starting fluid when it happens.

Let me know what you find.

fixitmr

December, 22, 2011 AT 6:25 PM

Squirt some gas in intake and see if it fires up for a second or 2.

mccck5

December, 22, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

I have replaced both the EEC Relay and the fuel pump relays. I have also tried starting fluid and it does not help. Check engine light is not on as I continually crank it will backfire and eventually start and run very rough until the temp comes up then it runs fine and will start fine until it is allowed to sit and cool off.

mccck5

December, 22, 2011 AT 6:37 PM

It does

mccck5

December, 22, 2011 AT 7:05 PM

I have to say I am disappointed in the slow or no response.

December, 22, 2011 AT 8:04 PM

NOT REAL GREAT ON THESE NEWER PUPPIES

SOUNDS LIKE A SPARK ISSUE, IF THE STARTER FLUID WAS NOT AN INSTANT "BUST OFF"

HOW LONG AGO SINCE IT HAD NEW "PROPERLY GAPPED" PLUGS AND OTHER IGNITION RELATED TUNE-UP PARTS?

I TRY

YOUR TURN

fixitmr

December, 23, 2011 AT 4:07 AM

What about codes? Have you tried reading them? Sounds like it's too lean on startup. Check temp sensor and clean MAF if it's dirty.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test